Whole 30 Holidays

Remember how I sprained my ankle last month? Remember how that meant no running for an undetermined amount of time? Yeah. We’re still at no running status.

And for a while, #bustedankle meant no exercising at all. Which is generally a problem, because no exercising means eventually, my clothes don’t fit. Which is REALLY a problem because I’m in a friend’s wedding this weekend and there’s a dress that I have to fit in to.

Knowing this a month ago, I decided to preemptively combat the clothes-not-fitting and the holiday food and drink onslaught by doing Whole 30.

If you’re not familiar with the Whole 30 plan, the easy explanation is this: no sugars, no grains, no legumes, no dairy, no alcohol. No processed foods. Only meat, veggies, fruits, and nuts. (There are more rules, so check them out here: http://whole30.com)

I’ve done a strict Whole 30 before (when I was training for the Chicago marathon) and I generally try to eat Paleo most of the time, so I knew that 1. I could do it, and 2. It would be a good way to avoid most of the crazy holiday food nonsense and hopefully help me fit into the dress for this wedding.

I actually love eating Whole 30-compliant food and have a whole Pinterest board dedicated to paleo/Whole 30 recipes. My favorite this round? Bacon Brussel Sprouts. I seriously made them at least once a week.

Some of my other go-tos: apples and almond butter, guacamole and plantain chips, and any breakfast bake with eggs and sausage and sweet potatoes and all of the veggies.

Now that the end of December is here, I can say this about my attempt: doing Whole 30 during the holidays is really stinking hard. Also, I didn’t stay strict the whole time. Reasons: 6 million holiday parties. It just gets really annoying to say “oh I’m not drinking because…” Or “no thanks, I don’t need any cookies…”

Or really, quite frankly, to hang out with family and not join in the frivolity.

That said, I did do fairly well. I allowed myself a few nights of fun and treats (not too many), but stayed to the plan the rest of the time. Which is really the big takeaway. If you eat the healthiest you can 80% of the time, and use the other 20% to enjoy yourself, you’ll be okay.

I also got the okay to start exercising again, which helped, too. Back on the bike and in spin class, and on the elliptical and the rower. Thank goodness!! I’m still not cleared to run, but my PT seems to feel confident that I’ll be able to start doing that early next year. (In my head that means tomorrow. Because hello 2015!) Until then, more physical therapy and crossing of fingers.

A handful of my coworkers and I will be doing a Whole 60 when we all get back from Christmas break, so now that I’m on my last official day of this Whole 30, I’m excited to partake wholeheartedly in the wedding festivities this weekend. BRING ME THE FINEST DRINKS IN ALL THE LAND. And cake. Also bring me cake.

Tried the dress on this morning, and it fits, so SUCCESS YOU GUYS! Boom. Nailed it.

Have you ever done Whole 30? How successful were you? What are your favorite recipes?

One thought on “Whole 30 Holidays

  1. I have never tried the Whole 30 and I hate putting restrictions on myself however I suppose doing to for a MONTH wouldn’t be too terribly bad. My body could definitely use a little kick start, that’s for sure. Are we pinterest friends (following or whatever the word is)? What’s the link to your Whole 30 board???

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *