Earlier this month my mama-in-law introduced me to a light, tasty adult summer drink – watermelon sangria!
We made this adult beverage at a family party and it was quite the hit. We’re a family of foodies, so know high standards were met, folks!
So since it’s my sister’s birthday today – and she loves all sorts of sangria – I thought I’d share this gift with everyone! And Happy Birthday Sissy!
Without further adieu, here’s what you’ll need to create my new favorite drink of champions:
– 12-14 cups of cubed watermelon, divided
– 1 (750ML) bottle of dry white wine
– 1 cup vodka
– 1/2 cup triple sec
– 1/2 cup simple syrup (sugar and water mixture)
– 1 medium lime, chopped and quartered
– 2 oranges, cut into thin sliced
– 1 cup (or so) of fresh blueberries
Got everything together? Great. Now start with the watermelon. I’d seriously chopped up 3 within the 24 hour span before making this so I was verging on expert, I like to think.
1. Place 9 cups of watermelon cubes in a blender; blend on high until very smooth. It’s incredibly wise not to do it all at once, but in parts, say 3 cups at a time. Otherwise your blender might get overwhelmed and quit.
2. Strain juice through a mesh strainer into a large pitcher. We used a huge thermos instead of a pitcher. We also used a spoon to help push the blended watermelon through the strainer.
3. Pour the wine, vodka, triple sec and simple syrup into the pitcher. Stir to combine. We used generous amounts of the alcohol.
4. Mix the remaining 3 cups of watermelon cubes (I made them really small), the lime and orange sections and blueberries into the sangria. Stir.
5. Chill for 4 hours before serving. I skipped this last step and just added ice. You could go crazy and do both.
Drink and enjoy! You will soon become the hit of the party.
What’s your go-to summer drink? Do you ever add fruit to your adult beverage?